+1 (424) 250-0672 or +1 (310) 562-5050
(Executive Director of Technology, Web 2.0 / Cloud Computing Architect, Chief Technology Officer)
Twelve years of design and development experience and most recently as the Executive Director of Technology at Sony Pictures Entertainment. Responsible for the Identity Management, Service Oriented Architecture, New Product/Technology Introduction and Enterprise Engineering efforts within Sony Pictures. Paved the path to adoption for Content Management, Portals, Collaboration, Mobile and other platforms using leading open source products.
- Consulting CTO and development partner for several start-ups in the SaaS, Cloud Computing, Web 2.0 and SOA space
- Author or Technical Reviewer of 30+ technical books on Java, J2EE, WebLogic, SOA, and every major mobile platform (iPhone, BlackBerry and Android).
- Speaker, Burton Catalyst 2011, "Integrating Corporate Apps with SaaS Apps for Single Sign On & User Provisioning, at Sony Pictures Entertainment"
- Speaker, Burton Catalyst 2009, "Using Identity Virtualization to Mitigate Risk at Sony Pictures Entertainment"
- Speaker, BEA World 2007, "Grow Your Business Effectively with Information on Demand: Sony Pictures Entertainment"
- Panelist, BEA World 2007, "SOA, BPM and Web 2.0"
- BEA Award for Liquid Portal Innovator for my Sony Pictures Television, on behalf of Sony Pictures Entertainment, 2006
- Speaker, BEA World 2006, “Bridging the Gap with a Sales Portal: Sony Pictures Television”
- ITIL V4 Foundation Certified (95%).
- Producer for "The Sixty Fifth Art", a comedy feature film set in Victorian England (in pre-production).
- Executive Producer for "Wings of Legacy", a short film about dance and disability.
- Launched a boutique winery in the Paso Robles region, called LXV Wine. LXV Wine is inspired by the 64 Arts of the Kamasutra.
- Licensed Private Pilot with Instrument Rating.
City, CA (11/03– Present) Executive Director
of Enterprise Technologies
Enterprise Technologies (07/08 - Present)
- Lead the definition of an outsourcing and centralization strategy for Application Development and Maintenance; demonstrating how the company could save 50+ million dollars over 5 years. A combination of my plan and a plan from TCS is currently being implemented at Sony Pictures.
- Heads the Identity Management (IDM) and Security program. Responsible for the implementation of a robust and global IDM strategy and compliance with Sony’s Global Information Security Policy. Provides operational support for the Identity Management suite of products from Sun, CA and Radiant (Virtual Directory).
- Experience integrating User Identity between traditional on-premise applications/directories and several different SaaS applications.
- Heads the Enterprise Engineering group that is focused on best practices, reusable architectures and the definition and implementation of the Service Oriented Architecture Strategy.
- Leading the adoption of Open Source platforms, and running the engineering for Portals, SOA, Web 2.0, Collaboration, Content Management and Mobile strategies. These include the migration from WebLogic to JBoss and Stellent to Alfresco. Participate in a Customer Advisory Board for Alfresco ECM.
- Leading efforts to build an offshore, managed services program for several engineering and architecture initiatives to drive cost savings.
- Defining metrics and processes to effectively measure the quality of work done by centralized IT groups; including the definition of a Sig Sigma, New Product Introduction (NPI) process.
Domestic TV Line of Business (11/03 - 07/08)
- Led a mid size development and QA team of employees and contractors
on the implementation of several Sales, Marketing, and Research
applications for the Domestic TV business group. Responsible
for all aspects of decision making where
it pertains to technology and applications
for the line of business.
- Report directly to the Divisional CIO and work closely on
the budgeting and planning process. Responsible for the overall IT budget for
the line of business.
- Developed technology strategies and led
implementation efforts to create a more effective
Sales Tracking application with on demand capabilities to
access complex data such as availability information, ratings
information and other data critical to be able to sell TV
product and Ad spots.
- Responsible for the technology due diligence activities
for several acquisitions around Ad
Sales vendors, and user generated content (video) companies.
- Budgetary, management and technical responsibilities
for a 14 million dollar Sales and Availability system,
involving several different departments, a large data mart
development and a complete front-end reporting and deal
data entry and tracking application.
- Served as the PM and Architect for a project to replace
the Domestic TV B2B site that serves
as a portal for all syndication and PPV marketing and programming
content. All SPT customers (station groups, affiliates) connect
to this site to get up to date broadcast schedules and formats,
marketing content, promotional materials etc.
- Architected a solution to integrate Nielsen
Ratings information with IMDB product
information to allow the Cable Sales team to access competitive
information as part of the sales process.
- Architected the re-design of the sales, financial and distribution
mainframe system to enable the support for new sales models, real-time
availability calculations using a data warehouse, and
a more integrated workflow/tracking system.
- Architected and led the efforts to build a Contract Management
Process and system for the Creative and Business Affairs teams
to manage the lifecycle of new TV product from concept to pilot
- Working directly with the CIO to build an offshore
support team in India using leading vendors such as
TCS and Wipro.
- Technical advisor for an enterprise SOA
initiative – from requirements, use cases to
implementation and adoption. Started and led an informal
education “Community of Practice” for cross
functional teams to discuss adoption of SOA.
- Participated in an initiative to transform the IT division
into a Services based model, using ITIL principles.
Part of a core team to implement the Incident
Management, Change Management and Problem
- Member of an enterprise Architecture Working
Group that is responsible to make recommendations
to a Architecture Governance Board, led by the VP of Architecture.
- Member of the IT Leadership group,
a group of IT thought leaders at Sony Pictures. Member of the Team
Innovation Leadership group, that serves as a catalyst
for business-it alignment efforts.
- Architected solutions to expose existing business applications
on mobile devices such as the Blackberry and iPhone.
- Architected the conversion of several Lotus Notes databases
into J2EE applications that integrated with the Portal.
- Architected several reusable component, across the LOB and
the enterprise – ad hoc query, Stellent, etc.
- Implemented several projects for Sony Pictures Television
using WebLogic Portal. This
site is the primary B2C, B2B and B2E application for the Domestic
Television business group.
- Project included Portal development, J2EE application development,
and integration with Stellent for
content management, Business Objects for
report and several databases.
Live Area, LLC
, Hawthorne, CA (05/2003– Present) Founder, CTO
- Live Area is the LLC that Kunal uses to provide movie production and IT consulting services.
- Founder, CTO of a startup in the Spend Management space that provides a solution for Enterprises to manage and optimize the money spent on employee cell phone reimbursements.
- Working as a SaaS and Cloud Computing Advisor to a startup called AnalytixOnDemand that provides a BI/SaaS solutions to different verticals with an initial focus on Healthcare and SalesForce.
- Working with Bodhtree Consulting, an offshore development company to form a SaaS Center of Excellence.
- Mobile Experience: Extensive experience building applications for blackberries and iPhones.
- Storage/Archival solution: Served as the Advisor to a company that is launching a new product in the storage and archival
space. This product will solve traditional problems with tape backups
using a 3 tiered storage architecture of Flash memory, solid state hard
disks and Blu Ray. I am focused on the definition of the product requirements
for the Digital Media space.
- Web 2.0 - Twitter like application: Served as the Consulting CTO for a startup to help them define their product features, technology
strategy and implementation plan for a Web 2.0, Twitter like application
in the Investor Relations space. This application will be available on
the Web, IPhone, Blackberry and as desktop widgets.
- Web 2.0 - Evite like application: Served as the Consulting CTO for a startup to help them define their technology strategy and offshore
development strategy for a Web 2.0 application that is a mix of Twitter,
Evite and Web 2.0 social networking type features. This application will
be available on the Web, IPhone, Blackberry and as browser widgets.
- Offshore partner with Bodhtree for
a start-up called Popcorn
Home Entertainment, that focuses on DVD delivery with Video
of Demand services. Responsible for Project Management, Technical
Implementation and delivery of the system that will process
orders and shipments from the users on a cable box through
the delivery of the DVD to the customer.
- Chief Information and Technology Officer for
a social networking start-up. Helped build a social technology
based on Web 2.0 and Web
3.0 paradigms; filed provisional patents around security
and access. Coordinated and managed an offshore vendor for
the development to the Alpha release stage.
- Managing offshore projects with niche Indian software companies
such as Bodhtree and CoreObjects.
- Authored and edited several books and articles. See list
of publications .
- Helped a financial services firm in India, diversify into
IT and establish a WebServices consulting
organization. Developed initial business plan, and marketing
strategy. Secured initial three clients to establish positive
cash flow immediately.
- Worked with Infosys Technologies
Ltd, in Pune, India on a Web Services initiative
to develop Web Services awareness. Helped define consulting
methodology, sales and marketing methodology and consultant
technical awareness programs to develop a Web Services practice.
- Implemented a BEA WebLogic Portal and
BEA WebLogic Integration project for Novartis in Mexico.
Was responsible for overall architecture of a BEA deployment,
using Portal, Integration and WebLogic Server. Developed several
Webflows, input processors and pipelines. Managed teams for
the consulting firm and Novartis developers on this project.
, San Francisco, CA (05/00 – 05/02) Senior
Consultant / Technical Architect
- Internal Applications
for iRise - Architected
various internal applications such as a recruiting application,
time and expense application and an ERP application to
manage consulting projects and consultants. Developed the technical architecture,
and led the development team.
Created mobile interfaces to the application, and Web Services
wrappers using WebLogic Workshop and Apache AXIS.
Worked with BEA Integration (AI, B2B and BPM) and WebLogic
Portal. Used a hybrid of RUP and
XP and Rational Rose tools for
design and implementation on projects. Was responsible for requirements
analysis, estimation and
responsible for on-time project delivery.
- Broadband Industry -
Architected and developed an e-commerce application to be
used to sell different types of self install kits for Cable
Modems and DSL. Created an Enterprise
J2EE architecture across numerous IT departments and
consulting firms working on several IT projects. Was responsible
for the project plan and timeline management. Interacted
closely with the client to setup development, QA, and production
environments, licensing issues and other administrative functions
required for a successful deployment.
- Entertainment Industry -
Delivered a detail proposal and technical
architecture for various clients in the Entertainment
industry. These proposals ranged from applications for a
trading system for the entertainment stock market and a digital
asset licensing system for sound and music clips. The technical
architecture was based on the use of J2EE technologies and
MVC architecture and Struts, to be deployed on WebLogic The
proposal included a detailed project plan with risk
analysis, testing strategy and a high
level functional design.
- Supply Chain integration
/ Logistics - Helped a startup architect a
supply chain platform using the J2EE architecture with
best-practice design patterns, optimized EJB usage,
for deployment on WebLogic. The
application integrated with a rules engine and various
reporting systems such as Crystal Reports. Used Struts as
part of the MVC development framework.
, San Francisco, CA (12/99 – 04/00) Engineer
- Frisbee League Management
Site - Developed various algorithms and utilities for
managing a Frisbee league. These included complex ordering
of players and drafting of teams. Architected a J2EE framework including an XML exchange layer
to be used by other developers to develop a web application
for the management of the league. Developed a reusable MVC framework which
resembles what Struts is today.
Reserve Bank of Chicago
, Chicago, IL (06/99 – 12/99) - MIS
- Responsible for developing intranet and
custom applications for the “Supervision
and Regulation” department in order to assist
in the supervision and control of various banks that fall
under the mid-west district of the FRB.
- Designed and developed intranet applications
in Java, using the SilverStream and WebLogic application server and a MS SQL database.
- intained the department intranet on
Photoshop, and Acrobat).
Beloit, WI (08/96 – 05/99) - NT
4 Administrator and Teaching Assistant
- Managed NT 4 servers operating as file/print/application
servers. Initiated UNIX-NT integration. Responsibilities
included writing PERL scripts for
accounts/directory synchronization and performing day to
day administrative tasks such as directory replication, backups,
and domain management. Installed FTP and HTTP servers and
- Provided one-on-one as well as group tutoring
help to students of introductory and intermediate level in
CS and Physics classes in C++, Algorithms,
and Digital Systems. Mentored students on Java,
C++ pointer manipulation, sorting, searching and graph algorithms,
Available upon request. Also see Linked In Recommendations.